About

About Us

A Tradition of Excellence & Service to Safeguarding Innovation The UC Davis Fire Department was established in 1917 as a student/faculty fire brigade in support of what at the time was the Berkley Farm. The Department was formalized in the 1950s, for a then stand-alone UC Davis campus, with the hiring of the first full-time career fire chief and career daytime staffing.

Student firefighters continued to provide night staffing until the University transitioned to 24-hour career firefighter staffing in 1977.